What are Essential Oils?
Essential Oils are oils obtained from plants/herbs through non-chemical methods. Essential Oils inherit the characteristic of the plant from which it is obtained, the fragrance, and almost all the properties of the plant.
Despite, great influence of the modern cosmetics and skincare products, nature based essential oils and its awesome skincare properties always stands unique and unbeatable. Essentials oils are mostly used in aromatherapy (natural or traditional way of healing treatment).
Either can you inhale through breathe or apply them onto your body. These oils can penetrate through tiny skin pores and brings a healing effect to the physical body and brings relaxation to the mind.
In this article, we shall discuss few Essential Oils and its skincare qualities.
1. Coconut Essential Oil
Coconut oil is obtained from coconut palm. Coconut essential oil is known for its deep hydration property. It also conditions and maintains skin. Coconut oil suits all skin types and it minimizes skin irritation, and inflammation.
Other uses and benefits of coconut essential oil are as follows:
- Well known for exfoliation property (removes dead and dry skin cells)
- Heals dry skin
- Protects skin from sun damages
- It acts as a powerful antioxidant
- Coconut oil inhibits problem causing bacteria on skin
- The antiviral property of the oil inhibits the growth of harmful virus
- The antifungal property of the oil prevents the development of fungus
- Conditions chapped lips
2. Jojoba Essential Oil
Jojoba oil is obtained from a shrub, Jojoba whose scientific name is Simmondsia chinensis. The oil is got from the nut part of the shrub. Jojoba oil is safe for all skin types and does not cause any possible allergies or side effects. It can reduce the aging signs and provides a younger looking appearance by maintaining required skin moisture.
Jojoba oil not only provides hydration to skin, but maintains the same for a long time. Dry skin is the first sign of an aging skin, dry skin can in turn result onset of wrinkles, fine lines and dark circles. It can also stimulate collagen production. Hence Jojoba oil is s great skin protector and healer.
Other uses and benefits of Jojoba essential oil are as follows:
- It can act as toner and cleanser
- Fights free radical damage (Antioxidant)
- Jojoba oil can completely remove makeup
- Jojoba oil cures scars, eczema and psoriasis
- Heals skin infections, razor burns and wounds
- It can be a best natural sun protector
- Conditions lips and makes it soft and smooth
- Continuous use provides a healthy skin
- Deters bacterial and microorganism growth
3. Argan Essential Oil
Argan oil is obtained from the nut part of the Argan tree. The tree is native to Morocco and the tree is exclusively grown in Morocco. The oil obtained from traditional methods and mechanical processes are more valuable and considered to be more pure. Argan Oil is Non-comedogenic which means it doesn’t block pores and it is light and gentle on skin. Vitamin E in the oil controls and prevents skin irritation, redness and skin burns.
A good level of vitamins A and E in the argan oil, promotes new skin cells rebuild process and enhances the overall appearance of the skin.
Other uses and benefits of Argan essential oil are as follows:
- Provides good hydration to the skin
- Effective Anti-aging benefits
- Cures acne problem
- Acts excellent as a skin lightening and brightening oil
- As a skin toner/cleanser
- Heals marks on the skin
- Provides solution to Eczema and rashes
- Removes dead cells from skin
- Suitable for use after exposure of skin to sun
- Maintains the oil level on skin
- Lip care
4. Almond Essential Oil
Almond oil is obtained from almond nut but which is safely enclosed within the outer shell known as drupe. The almond itself has numerous health benefits when consumed internally. The pure almond oil also has many skincare benefits. Since the oil obtained from natural plant, it is safe for all skin types.
Use of almond oil on skin removed skin residues and dead skin cells. It helps fade away aging signs by diminishing the appearance of wrinkles, dark spots, and fine lines. The oil is capable of maintaining original complexion of the skin despite the exposure of skin to sunlight i.e, it reduces tan, by serving as a shield to skin during sun exposure.
Other uses and benefits of Almond essential oil are as follows:
- Makes skin feel and appear healthy
- Works great as s scrub/exfoliator
- Heals Psoriasis and Eczema conditions
- An excellent toner/skin cleanser
- Heals dry and cracked lips
- Controls excess oil production and cures acne
- Gentle and mild in skin
- Makes a defect free beautiful skin
- Improves blood circulation
5. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender flower has most the mesmerizing fragrance and very pleasant smell. Lavender Essential Oil is obtained from the flower part of the lavender plant (Lavandula angustifolia). Most of the cosmetics use lavender or its extract as its ingredients for its great fragrance. And this wonderful flower also has a vast number of skincare properties.
The major constituent of Lavender is the “linalol.” Linalol soothes, eases, and renews the skin. It is also proved to provide relaxation to mind and body.
Lavender Essential Oil stands unique compared to other Essential oils from its ability to cure stress, improve and refresh brain functions, cure headaches and as well.
Other uses and benefits of Lavender Essential Oil are as follows:
- Heals acne problem
- This oil can destroy harmful bacteria and improves skin health
- Moisturization benefits
- Protect skin from skin burns, redness and irritation
- Improves skin’s original tone and brightness
- Reduces wrinkles and fine lines
- Heals Eczema and wounds
- Removes toxic substances from skin and flushes out
- Cleanses skin pores
- Fights free radical damages
- Prevents aging signs and symptoms
- Treats hard skin or dry skin
- Conditions and maintains soft lips
There are also various other essential oils that has a huge skincare benefits and favors human upon application to skin. These essential oils inherit the characteristics of the plant from which it is obtained and there is no addition of any other chemicals to it, until and unless it is specified. The essential oils are of natural oils and can be used to attain the desired benefits.
Other essential oils known for its skincare usage are Frankincense essential oil, Castor Oil, Macadamia Nut Oil, Rosehip Oil, Chamomile Essential Oil, Lemongrass Essential Oil, Olive Oil, Carrot Seed Oil and many more.
Care should be taken before and during use of essential oils. You need to learn a complete usage of a particular essential oil and use them as directed only. A few needed to be diluted before use and a few requires age restrictions and few can’t be used directly on wounded skin.